These are messages that are sent out by persons/ individuals known as Scammers who intent to deceive people into believing that the message they send out are real. These messages usually start with a "Congratulation" acknowledgement and then goes on to tell you that "you have won K95,000.00 or K150,000.00" from a business or well known company only to excite you to respond promptly to it. Unfortunately, when there’s lack of awareness, a lot of Digicel customers become victims of this particular cybercrime.
What are the features of a Scam SMS?
- A Congratulatory statement at the start of the message,
- A statement of nomination will be there, e.g.; "You are lucky number 3 winner.."
- A company name will be mentioned
- You will be asked to contact a particular
What to do when you receive a Scam SMS,
- Read the message carefully and never be over excited about it;
- Never call or contact mobile numbers entailed in the SMS;
- Never disclose your bank details to these scammers;
- If a call is received later about the message advising you to provide your account and location details to these unknown individuals, refrain from disclosing those details to customers and terminate the call;
Right away report this SMS to Digicel with the following details,
- Your name:
- Number you received SMS on:
- Scammer’s number:
- Content of SMS:
- Time/ date message was received:
Click here and chat live to report this scam SMS,
A Scam SMS will look something like this,
Sample of a Scam SMS,
Note: Only when you become a winner for a recognized Digicel Promotion during the time of its existence, you will be called up on our +67572222000 number and advised accordingly.